On Monday, January 17, Monsignor Donovan students will be volunteering at various sites in the greater Athens area. Athens MLK Day of Service is an annual celebration in support of
On Monday, January 17, Monsignor Donovan students will be volunteering at various sites in the greater Athens area. Athens MLK Day of Service is an annual celebration in support of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday and commitment to service. In 1994, Congress made the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday an official day of service. Athens, Georgia is one of the thousands of cities across the United States that decided to make this "A Day On and Not a Day Off."
Attached are permission slips and releases for that day. January 17 is considered a regular school day for students despite the off-campus activities. Therefore, attendance will be taken. Students will receive service hours for participating in this Day of Service with dismissal at 12:30.
- All students will receive a permission slip that must be signed and returned to the front office by Friday, January 14th.
- School vans and buses will be used for transportation to and from the volunteer sites. At least one Donovan staff member will be with every group.
- All students and staff will receive a t-shirt to wear to their respective volunteer site.
- The t-shirt with long pants will be considered your "uniform" for the day. Dress down guidelines must be followed otherwise (no rips or tears in jeans, no shorts, no sweatpants, no pajama bottoms, no leggings etc). Close-toed shoes are mandatory. No flip-flops, slides, or other similar style shoes because most volunteer sites require your feet to be covered and protected.
- Be mindful that you will ride school vehicles and will volunteer at off-campus locations. Do not bring any technology or personal belongings that have the risk of getting lost or damaged!
We strive to form students who will use their talents to compassionately serve their community, working to build a more just and equitable society. Apostolic stewardship of our local community allows students to encounter Christ, to imitate Christ, and to grow closer to Christ through service. We hope to see our students "Radiate the Lord" through this experience. Thank you in advance for being a part of this day.
All Day (Monday) EDT